From Bedrooms to Billions:
The Playstation Revolution
The PlayStation Revolution is an independent documentary feature film that uncovers the incredible story behind the creation of the Sony PlayStation. It is an essential watch for anyone interested in video games and the history of the biggest entertainment industry on earth. The film investigates why Sony decided to enter the video games business, when it was already dominated by both Nintendo and Sega, who not only produced their own hardware but made and published fantastic games. To compete, Sony would not only have to design and build a new piece of hardware, but they would have to find a way to persuade the game development industry to take a chance and develop games for it long before it even came out!
What Sony would achieve with their console was a true revolution for the games industry, a combination of cutting edge hardware, technology and incredible sound capability all in one console. Featuring interviews with the people behind the console alongside some of the worldâ€™s most legendary video game developers, responsible for smash hit titles such as Tomb Raider, Wipeout, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Driver, Crash Bandicoot, Shadow of the Colossus, Ridge Racer, Ratchet and Clank, Grand Theft Auto 3, Oddworld, Jak and Daxter and many others.
The PlayStation Revolution is the third in the From Bedrooms to Billions series, films that chronicle the hidden story of the video games industry.
Special Features (Special Edition only)
- Creating Wipeout – RT – 10mins 31 sec (featuring game creator Nick Burcombe and Psygnosis founder Ian Hetherington)
- Creating Gran Turismo – RT – 19mins 12 secs (featuring creator Kazunori Yamauchi)
- Net Yaroze – RT – 6mins 46 secs (featuring Phil Harrison and Paul Holman)
- Audio on PS2 – 3mins 12 secs (featuring Jason Page)
- Director’s commentary with Anthony Caulfield, Nicola Caulfield, Heather Gibson & Gavin Rummery (Tomb Raider), Steve Merrett (PlayStation journo) and Shahid Ahmad (former Sony PlayStation dev commissioner)
- Photo Gallery